Friday, September 3, 2010

Learning to Rest and Recharge

I am back in the saddle after my brief Sabbatical. I must say it was outstanding. I think I should write a book about my experience - I have a title - "Eat, Pray, Love and Nap". Has anyone used that?

Seriously, I had hoped to truly spend time reading, praying, and getting plenty of healthy exercise and all that happened in abundance. I read a whole stack of good books - some very recreational and some very thought provoking. My wife and I did our morning fitness miles through the hills - we covered nearly 40 miles during a 7 day period. We saw hawks, doves, chaparrals, white tailed deer in abundance, and enjoyed some spectacular views at the top of those high hills in the Texas Hill Country. We would be out of breath on the way up those hills but the climb was worth it - so beautiful!

Life needs cycles of vigorous work and periods of rest and "re-creation" - it is a great secret to being healthy spiritually, emotionally, physically and intellectually. When I work all the time and take no breaks I become maladjusted - my thinking becomes skewed.

One of my favorite descriptions of Jesus is from his childhood - Dr. Luke tells us that he grew in wisdom, stature, favor with God and favor with men. (Luke 2:52) That is the the healthy balanced growth that we all need.

So work hard and do your best in your vocation and your relationships, but remember that times of rest and reflection will keep you balanced and healthy.

By the way, on the first day of our little retreat in the Hill Country I fell in the little creek that flowed by our cabin. I trudged my way back up the hill to the cabin wet and muddy and laughing outloud. My wife loved it - but was not surprised. Little boys never stop exploring.
Stop exploring and you stop living.

Just thinking, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment