As the end of the decade draws near people are reflecting on the most important events of the decade - big news items - things that made the front page and were talked about forever on the so-called news channels. For me those events pale in significance to the more personal events that shaped my decade. I offer 10 for my last 10:
1. 2000 - Running the Big Sur Marathon - the most beautiful and challenging course I have ever run - outstanding! Finishing into the arms of my sweet Linda was so good!
2. 2001 -The initial planning for our new campus and new church building began with hopes and prayers! Looking back, what a miracle God has done!
3. 2002 - The August birth of Ella Walker - the sweetest Granddaughter any Papa could ever have! I also ran Big Sur Marathon again, this time with my buddies Gary and Mike. Still remember Linda being so excited that she exclaimed, "Let's do something dangerous!"
4. 2003 - Running the New York City Marathon with my friend, Gary and 36,000 other amazing people - including P Diddy and his entourage! I dedicated this 26th Marathon to my Dad, who passed away in 2003. We started the race on Staten Island where my Dad did his Medic training during WWII. I still miss dear old Dad. If heaven has dominoes, Dad is at the table!
5. 2004 - The June birth of Owen Walker - my favorite Grandson - no boy has ever made his Papa feel so loved and appreciated!
6. 2005 - Our Fall vacation to the East Coast in Northern Florida - beautiful sunrises, sunsets and perfect weather! Reading, relaxing and recharging with the love of my life, Linda! Having generous friends like Jack and LuAnne made this possible - so blessed!
7. 2006 - Completing my first Triathlon - wet, hot, exhausting and exhilarating! Those hills outside San Marcos were brutal on that bike - thank the Lord for the downhill at the end of the bike course.
8. 2007 - Frio Fun with the Grand kids - a great week on the River with family - river was flowing and the perfect Hill Country weather made those morning runs so enjoyable!
9. 2008 - Moving to our new church campus and church building - what an amazing journey!What a beautiful gift from God!
10. 2009 - Our first Easter at our new Church Campus - over 800 people celebrating the Risen Lord and a new beginning for this good old church family!
None of these events made the front page or headline news but they shaped my life and I am so grateful! As I think about it, the best times of life are times with people you love! I want more!
Who knows the exciting personal events that are ahead - hang on tight - 2010 is on the way!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and New Decade to all!
Just thinking, Steve