Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Life Is Good

I spend a good deal of time each day hearing people's problems. This has been true for more than three decades now and it will not likely change in the future. This is my life. I am a listener. I am called to be a helper. While some of what I hear truly pulls at my heart strings and can even sap my energy for a while, I understand something about this life I have. This is a good life.

It is a wondrous place to be involved with people who are hurting and are reaching out for help. If I may say it this way, it is a sacred place. I know personally what it is like to be hurting and to need someone to listen and to care and to offer wise counsel. This is holy ground.

On occasion, someone will say to me something like, "I don't know how you do it." While all of us suffer from fatigue at times in our work, doing good work is energizing. It gives us a real sense of purpose and meaning. This is true if you are teaching children in an elementary classroom or being a therapist with people facing relational struggles. Good work is rewarding and affirms that we are blessed with a good life.

Paul had this great line where he said, "we are God's workmanship (meaning handcrafted for good work) created in Christ Jesus for good works that were prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:10)

Whatever your work - your calling - your task - do it with all your heart!

Even God looked at his work and said, "This is good, very good!"

Life is good - even with the bumps in the road and all the challenges - it is good.

Just thinking, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment