Tuesday, January 27, 2009

When I See the Cross...

Like most people I have some streets that I drive down almost everyday. One of those streets is the street that passes in front of our church campus. Our new church campus is on the top of a hill and is quite beautiful - I admit my bias, but people tell me all the time how beautiful it is. One of the things I look for when I am traveling down that thoroughfare is the cross on the top of our new church building. I still remember the first day I saw it when the workers put it in place. It was so moving to me personally that I wept. From down the hill, almost a mile away from the campus, I often look up and see the cross on the horizon.

Not all churches have a cross these days. The cross is seen by some as offensive and out of step with the times. For me, it remains the chief symbol of the Christian faith and it reminds me of God's love and grace. When I see the cross I feel like I am heading home to a place where I will be loved and received with open arms. One day I saw a stunning site - a hawk was perched on the very top of the cross. I watched until she took flight and soared into the sky. It took my breath away. One day I saw a rainbow in the sky behind the cross - it was a wow moment! I can look up from my keyboard at this computer and see the cross right now. The puffy white clouds are zooming across the sky above it.

Inside our new building there are three very visible crosses - one in our foyer, one in our chapel, and one in our worship center. Each one reminds me of who I am and who I am called to be.

When I see the cross... Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment