Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin Stuff and the Seasons of Life

For the first time in a long time the air outside feels cool! Perhaps it is finally Fall - Autumn has arrived! When Fall arrives this heart of mine turns to all things pumpkin!

I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin patches, and carving pumpkins! I even like those little candy pumpkins that are really candy corn in the shape of a pumpkin. I watched a brief story about the new world record pumpkin that some farmer grew this year. I think it was about the size of Rhode Island. It filled the back of a large pick-up truck. I saw the elephants at the Houston Zoo chowing down on pumpkins - they were in pumpkin heaven!

Along with my pumpkin love, I love the change of seasons. People say the seasons don't really change in Texas - we only have two seasons some say - hot and less hot. But on days like today, I feel the change of seasons in the air. Thank God for the change!

The truth is human life is seasonal and thank the Lord that things change. Thank goodness I do not have to be 13 years old (the nightmare year of my life) all my life. It was nice to run those Marathon's in my 30's and 40's but I have no interest in going back. Life has never been more enjoyable than it is right now - this season is the best so far!

With the seasons of change that come with life we experience newness that you cannot experience any other way! The arrival of my Grand kids took me by such surprise - the love and affection and joy they have brought to my life is a serendipity I could not experience until now! In my 30's I was a know it all - in my 50's I see how little I really know.

There is the line about Jesus in Luke 2:52 - it says he grew in wisdom, in stature, in favor with God, and with man. He was 12 years old when we hear that and the next thing we know he is 30 and beginning his public life of ministry that would change our world forever.

While I likely will not be any taller in the days ahead, I do want to grow in wisdom, favor with God and in favor with my fellow human beings and the seasons of life give me the opportunity to do so.

Welcome the seasons and grow!

Just thinking, (about pumpkins and stuff)
Steve Yates

No comments:

Post a Comment