Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I Wish I Was Irish Today

March 17th - St. Patrick's Day - some say, that everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day. I guess I wish I was Irish today. Of course, on Cinco De Mayo, I wish I was Mexican! And of course, during October I sometimes wish I was German. On Juneteenth, I wish I was African-American! O.K. - I admit it - I enjoy big celebrations! I have no desire to get falling down drunk or to dye the San Jacinto River green (We like it brown!), but I do enjoy a good gathering of happy people eating good food and enjoying one another's company.

Believe it or not, in many ways this is the appeal of church for some folks. Church folks love to get together and eat and laugh --- we even do that at funerals!

I remember hearing the story of the Prodigal son when I was a bit of a prodigal myself. The thing that caught my attention in the story was that when the wayward son came home the Father threw a big blowout - BarBQ, dancing, music - a house full of celebrating people and the son got new shoes, new clothes, and a new ring! (Luke 15) Now that's what I'm talking about!

No one loves a good party more than God - he throws the best parties of all when his wayward children come home to their Father.

Today, I wish I was Irish. Everyday I am delighted to be a child of God.

Just thinking, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment